Monday, July 25, 2011

Oklahoma ham makes ISS Contact

I've posted details of my tape rule antenna construction and successful APRS contact with a flyover of the International Space Station.

I used our Logan County Scouting "club" callsign of WB5BSA and posted the url of www.troop850.com up there.  Somewhere there a just a few bytes of us on the ISS.

Hopefully my link works below.  Google + is still new but offers better blog-like posts than what I could do with FaceBook.


Let me know if you have trouble viewing.  If so, here's the YouTube video of the experience with tips.


A surprise contact was made during the encounter.  Clayton Coleman W5PFG was on an OA campout near Palestine TX and sent us a message after recognizing our callsign.

He was using a small radio and an arrow antenna along with a PC and typed a message which got back down to me.  I didn't realize it until after the flyover was over.  The text is on the video. We contacted each other by email and will be sending QSL cards.

73
--

Doug 








Thanks to Doug Cook, KD5PDN and Oscar Staudt, WB5GCX for details about this event.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

News from the American Radio Relay League